Mixed Vegetable Pie
A healthy family meal and easy to cook with your children.
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly!
- 400g tin of green lentils
- 240g frozen chopped onions
- vegetable stock cube
- 15ml olive or other oil
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- A handful fresh chives
- A handful fresh rosemary
- A handful fresh basil
- 500g frozen mixed vegetables
- 800g sweet potatoes
You will also need:
- An apron
- A colander
- A large plastic bowl
- 2 large sauce pans
- A frying pan
- A spatula
- A potato peeler
- A chopping board
- A sharp knife (to use with an adult)
- A large casserole dish
- A measuring jug
- A fork
- A potato masher
Please make sure you have adult help when using the cooker or hot water.
- Drain the lentils in the colander and rinse under the tap.
- Measure 250ml of water, put it in the saucepan to boil and crumble a vegetable stock cube in to it.
- Add the oil to the sauce pan and heat on the cooker.
- Once the oil has warmed, add the onions to soften for about 10 minutes.
- In the plastic bowl add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, lentils and vegetables and mix together.
- Once mixed, add to the stock and simmer for approximately 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Wash and snip the herbs, add to the stock and stir in.
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and place in a saucepan of water to boil for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven on 180°c.
- Remove the vegetable/stock mixture and pour into the casserole dish.
- Carefully check the potatoes are ready by pricking with a fork to make sure they are soft.
- When ready the potatoes are soft, remove them from the heat and drain using a colander.
- Pour the potatoes back into the pan and mash thoroughly.
- Spoon the mashed potato over the vegetables and smooth out evenly.
- Top with grated cheese for a nice golden crunch.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes.