Mint Chocolate Easter Egg Biscuits
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly!
- 250g plain flour
- 125g butter/margerine
- 70g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A splash of milk
- 125g of icing sugar, sifted
- ¼ tsp of peppermint essence
- 2 tbsp of hot water
- 100g of 70% cocoa chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- Coloured sprinkles
You will also need:
- An apron
- 2 plastic mixing bowls
- A saucepan
- A sieve
- A tablespoon
- An oval/egg shaped cutter
- A baking tray
- A wire rack
- A rolling pin
- A wooden spoon
- Sticks for the biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 160°c.
- Sieve the flour and sugar into the bowl.
- Add the butter and rub together with your fingers until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk until the mixture combines together to form a dough.
- Place on a floured service and roll out to about 5 mm thick.
- Finally cut out the egg shapes and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Place on a wire rack to cool down.
- Once the cookies are cooled, make the peppermint cream. Combine the icing sugar, peppermint essence and hot water until it makes a smooth, spreadable paste.
- Spread the icing mixture onto one of the cookies and place a stick in the middle of it. Then place another biscuit on the top and press down firmly to join them together.
- To melt the chocolate, break into small pieces into a small mixing bowl and place in a pot of simmering water. Stir until melted and then remove from the heat.
- Place a sheet of baking paper under the wire tray and spoon the chocolate onto the biscuits and smooth out evenly.
- Finally, use the coloured sprinkles to make pretty patterns.