Hearty Beef Soup
A warming soup from Kitchen Club Kids for the cold winter months to share cooking with an adult.
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly!
- 700g braising steak 2 tablespoons olive oil handful fresh thyme
- 2 large carrots (chopped) 1 tablespoon unsalted butter 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 large onion (chopped) 1 tablespoon tomato purēe 2 teaspoons flour
- 2 large stalks celery (chopped) 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1 large tomato (chopped) 240mls beef stock
- 1 large King Edward potato (chopped) 600mls water
- 1 small bag frozen cut green beans 1 tablespoon mixed herbs
You will also need:
- Large lidded pot
- Sharp knife (to use with an adult)
- Chopping board
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
- Chop all vegetables and garlic.
- On medium heat, in the pot brown all sides of the meat in oil and season with salt, pepper and half tablespoon of mixed herbs. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add butter, chopped onions, celery and carrots to the pot and sautē until vegetables soften.
- Add garlic and potatoes and cook for a minute further. Then add tomato, tomato puree, thyme, remainder of mixed herbs and the flour. Mix together.
- Add water and beef stock. Then add beef back into the pot. Stir and leave on low heat to simmer. Cook for 1 hour with lid on.
- Add beans and stir. Cook for a further 30 minutes with lid on.
- Uncover pot and let the soup cook for a further 20 minutes until the beef is tender.
- Stir in the cream before serving. Season to taste.
So simple to add extra vegetables and leave out the meat and cream for dietary requirements 🙂