Breakfast scones are a healthy option for rushed mornings or breakfast on the go.
- 125g self-raising flour
- 100g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50g butter
- 50g grated cheese
- 50g chopped sun dried tomatoes
- A handful fresh chives
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
You will also need:
- An apron
- A sieve
- A large mixing bowl
- A wooden spoon
- A pair of children’s scissors
- A rolling pin
- A round cutter
- A baking tray
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- Sift the flours and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until it is all mixed together and looks like breadcrumbs.
- Snip the chives over the bowl, add the tomatoes and stir in half the cheese.
- Mix in the milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out to 2cm thick on a floured work surface and using a round cutter, cut out your scones, placing them on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until golden.
These scones are so easily adapted. Try adding ham or bacon and swap the herbs according to taste. Try using different varieties of cheese too.
Put scones in an airtight container and they can then be frozen for up to 1 month.
Would you consider baking these at the weekend ready for busy weekday mornings?