Basil and Tomato Salsa Valentine Tarts
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly!
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- A handful fresh basil
- 1/2 lime
- Packet of shortcrust pastry (ready rolled)
- A little milk
You will also need:
- An apron
- A chopping board
- A sharp knife (to use with an adult)
- A garlic crusher
- A large plastic bowl
- A plastic lemon squeezer
- A teaspoon
- 3 different sized heart pastry cutter
- A pastry brush
Basil and Tomato Salsa
- Cut the tomatoes in half and squish them into the bowl. Then tear up the skins.
- Peel and chop the onion, crush the garlic clove and add to the bowl.
- Cut the lime in half with a sharp knife. Squeeze as much juice as you can from one half into the bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Pick and wash the basil. Next snip it into small pieces or you could just tear it up over the mixture.
- Next cut out an equal amount of hearts from ready rolled shortcrust pastry using a large and medium cutter.
- Add a spoonful of basil salsa into the middle of each large heart.
- Then cut out an even smaller heart in the middle of the medium hearts.
- Lay on the top of the large hearts so the salsa can be seen.
- Brush a little milk on the top of each tart and cook in the oven for approximately 20 minutes on 180°c.