Basil and Strawberry Cupcakes
Remember to wash your hands thoroughly!
- 120g butter
- 120g self raising flour
- 120g caster sugar
- 120g fresh strawberries
- 2 eggs
- Handful fresh basil leaves (the more you use the stronger the flavour)
- 100ml whipping cream
- 60g cream cheese
- 350g icing sugar
You will also need:
- An apron
- 2 large plastic bowls
- A sieve
- A saucepan
- A fork
- A spoon
- 12 cupcake cases
- A cupcake tin
- A wooden spoon
- A knife
- A chopping board
- A wire rack
Preparing the frosting:
- Heat the whipping cream in a saucepan (do not boil). Wash and tear the basil leaves but save some for decorations later. Add to the pan.
- Remove pan from heat and allow the basil to flavour the cream for up to an hour. Put in the fridge to chill while you make the cupcakes.
Making the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ gas mark 4 and place 12 cupcake cases in a cupcake tin.
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and the butter with a wooden spoon. Then add the eggs one at a time and beat well.
- Sieve the flour in a separate bowl. Add half the flour a little at a time to the wet mixture.
- Wash and hull the strawberries and put some aside to decorate later. Mash the strawberries in a bowl with a fork and add to the mixture. Stir well until the mixture goes pink.
- Add the other half of the flour and mix well.
- Spoon the cake mixture into the cases - not quite to the top.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Leave the cakes for a few minutes, then put them on a wire rack to cool completely.
Making the frosting:
- In a bowl beat the cream cheese and icing sugar together until smooth.
- Sieve the basil cream over the bowl a little at a time mixing as you go.
- Have fun decorating the cupcakes with the frosting, strawberries and the basil leaves.